Friday, July 31, 2009

Something to consider...

After another tough week.

"You are only what you are when no one is looking"
Robert C. Edwards

So ends another school week and another torrid week of interaction with my eldest child. I love him dearly but we seem to have an unsurmountable gap in our relationship at the moment. I worry that I am too hard on him and am being unfair and I know that I don't handle his behaviour well.

This quote makes me stop in my tracks. I am very careful to be a very moderate mother in public. Don't get me wrong; I don't abuse my children behind closed doors. But I appreciate that often my behaviour in handling conflicts at home with my children would shame me if it was observed by someone else.

So I need to start counting to 10, taking a deep breath and thinking about how I am behaving. After all, I am the adult and he is only a child.

No comments: