Monday, April 4, 2011

Helpful and horny = happy and healthy

A science lesson today, people.
But a fun one.
And not too many big words.

Just one.

Immunoglobulin.

Who knows how to spell that?
Can anyone tell me what it is?

I want to talk about Immunoglobulin A, to be specific.
This little protein helps fight disease in our bodies.


(answers.com)

Everyone understand the diagram?
Good.

Did you know that altruistic acts increase the levels of immunoglobulin A in our bodies?
So helping someone does not only make you feel warm and fuzzy,
it also betters your health and improves your immune response.

People who are helpful and giving to others have less disease
and a less stressful life with a greater sense of well-being
compared to people of the same age who aren't as generous.

If that doesn't want to make you run out and do good deeds,
then it might perhaps interest you to know that sex once or twice a week can have the same effect.

So go forth, help people...or bonk them...or both.
It's up to you.
But you will be healthier for it.

9 comments:

Tania said...

Holy moly woman. I think you need to insert a few disclaimers of one kind or another to the bottom of that post!

Liesl said...

Gee I'd like to ... but after studying your diagram, I suspect I have some kind of problem in my hinge region.

Tin Can Daisy said...

You make me laugh!!!

Tanya said...

hmmm-doesn't it depend who you choose to have sex with as to whether you have less disease...maybe that's Tania's disclaimer!
you are fantastic!

Tracy said...

I've had my giggle for the day now. So I'm going to now go and talk Pete into increasing my levels.... I'll show him your well researched scientific blog post as supportive documentation of my argument for an increase in good deeds or sex. I may try asking for that loom I'm wanting...

CurlyPops said...

Hmmmm I have hypogammaglobulinemia which is zero antibodies. Clearly not enough sex ha ha!

Davia said...

Thanks for the giggle Tas. Thats fantastic news! I knew there were good reasons for the above mentioned acts. I will endeveor to do more of both :)

Lola Nova said...

Sound advice my dear, I shall get to it. Erm...I am off to help small children paint ceramic tiles for a project that will go to auction to help others.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... To give out or put out?