Thursday, June 12, 2014

Lemon Shortcake. A substitute for John Barrowman.


(www.telegraph.co.uk)

I am in a slump this week.
I am trying to cope with the fact that John Barrowman
is actually in the same country as I am but I am not going to be able to stalk meet him.

 I have turned to baking to deal with my depression.

(Needless to say that the kids are happier with that
than if their mum gone AWOL interstate to chase down my celebrity crush.
Probably not least because few people get arrested for cooking in their kitchen.
Stalking, on the other hand...)

If anyone else is feeling a bit down,
about John Barrowman or anything,...
climate change, our prime minister, the cold weather, another grey hair...
or even if you are just a fan of tangy lemon recipes,
this is for you.

(No insipid citrus flavoured cooking happening here...)

BEST EVER LEMON BUTTER SHORTCAKE

Filling-

120 grams melted butter
1 cup castor sugar
lemon rind (as much as you like)
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 cup lemon juice

Place butter, sugar and rind into non-reactive saucepan.
Strain eggs and lemon juice into other ingredients.
Cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pastry-

2 cups self raising flour
1 cup castor sugar
120 grams chilled butter, cubed
2 eggs

Process (or rub in) butter, sugar and flour till sandy.
Add eggs to make pastry.
Do not overwork.

Line and grease a springform tin or similar.
Place 2/3 of pastry into base and press down.
Pour hot filling over.
Scatter remainder of pastry mix over.

Optional-
Scatter 1/2 cup almonds or macadamias over.



Cook at 180 degrees Celcius for appromiately 40 minutes.

Cool before removing from tin.



Enjoy.

Surely, it's almost as good as a hug from Captain Jack himself.

(www.forum.gateworld.net)



1 comment:

Sally said...



Ok - I'm not feeling down about John Barrowman - should I know who he is??? I am feeling blue about climate change and utter dev'd about the current PM (*deep sigh*) he cold weather is bugging me too, as are the short days... but I'm thinking that I will only colour my hair for a few more years and then I am going to embrace grey with a vengeance. I want to be one of those gracefully ageing ladies with a long silver plait down my back... perhaps some over sized overalls and a pair of clogs too? Is this dementia? Has it set in already???