Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kisses from nan...

...the old fashioned sort!

Nan's kiss bickies are the good old fashioned kind. Lots of real butter in the biscuits, lots of real icing sugar in the icing, none of this "out of a packet" stuff. Growing up, both my nans loved baking. I lost one of my nans last year but still have a lot of her recipes. I get very disheartened when I think of how many kids today think that cakes, muffins, bickies - even pasta sauce- all come out of a box or a jar. I know that I can't expect every mum, dad or grandparent to love cooking and baking but it is just sad that in modern times some things go by the wayside. (Heck, I'm sounding old aren't I? )

I am far from being a patient teacher but I know what pleasure my kids get on those occasions when I have the time and energy to let them help me cook. It's not often enough. I hope, in the same way they see me sew and craft, that I am helping to foster some interest in these pursuits in the future.

I also love sharing recipes. I don't really get "secret family recipes" Life is so very short and you should spread as much happiness and pleasure around as possible- and that includes the food variety of happiness!

You can see how old the recipe is; when did we change from pounds to kilograms?

Nan's Kiss Biscuits:

1 pound plain flour
1/2 pound sugar
2 eggs
1/2 pound butter (no one said they were healthy. Just close your eyes and put it in...)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 small teaspoon bicarb soda

Oven at 180 degrees.

Crem butter and sugar.
Add eggs and beat well.
Sift flour and tartar and soda.
Mix into creamed mix.
Form small balls on cold, greased trays.
Press down evenly with a fork.
Bake till golden.
Join with jam and ice one side with vanilla icing and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands or coconut. Lemon icing also yummy.

These keep well.

I'll always think of my nans when I make these.

Kiss bickies

Some of these are destined for my family's tummies but most are destined for Sewjourn in Lancefield, Victoria, when 9 Crafty Mamas will be meeting for the 1st time this weekend. (http://www.sewjourn.net.au/blog/ )

I joined this forum last year and I feel that these girls are my friends- I have chatted incessantly with them about everything and everything online for less than a year...and yet we have never met. Modern society at its best. I hope that we all like each other! If we don't, I guess that we will get a lot of sewing done...in silence. But that is highly unlikely I think!

PS Maybe it is good karma for cooking your own bickies but don't you love how you can always find matching pairs when you have to sandwich a tray of biscuits together?

3 comments:

willow and moo said...

Oh YUM!!!! I can't wait to eat some of those!

Anonymous said...

They look fabulous Tas!! yummy :) Enjoy some for me!

Suzanne said...

Oh ace!! Cant wait. Its getting exciting isnt it :)