Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Career options: be a mum with big boobs or be a tropical fruit?

Little Boozle 2011 

My 3 year old and I were having a discussion this week
which led me to ask her:
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

No pause. No hesitation. Nada.
"I want to be like you, mummy"

*a little flutter in the heart a'happening right about now*

(Last week she wanted to have big boobies like me when she grew up.
Bear in mind that everything is relative when she says "big")

While my heart was flip-flopping, my mind was thumping...
...you know, that mind attached to my worrying, stressed personality...
...but why would you want to be me?

"Cos you get to stay up late and each as much icecream as you want"

???

 "Because, mummy, I see how much strength and stability, love and nurturing you bring to this household,
this family, and that is what I aspire to be able to give to others"

???

 "Because, for some really odd reason that I can't explain,  I find varicose veins, a flabby tummy, cellulite and pelvic floor muscles of dubious quality quite appealing"

???

"I dunno"(shrug)

???

I did ask her but no explanation was forthcoming.

Now I know that as a pre-kindy kid,
yet to really make her way out into the big, wide world,
as her mummy,
I am the person in her life.

And yes, next week she may well want to be
a marine scientist, a pop star
or heck, even a pineapple,
if she sees any more grown ups dressing up as fruit on Playschool.

(Admittedly, I can't see the pineapple population of the world lying awake at night
worrying why it was that someone wanted to be a herbacious, tropical  bromeliad like them)

So instead of analysing it to death,
I will take it for the 3 year old's take on her world that it is.

"I want to be like you, mummy.
because I am only three and a half
and you are my mummy
and you are my world"

That's the one that I am going to go with...

...even if it is really just to have my bust measurement.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Aww, that was lovely Tas. James about Mae's age wanted to be a queen when he grew up.....

Unknown said...

so sweet!

Kelly Casanova said...

Beautiful Tas :)

becci said...

That is so sweet. Isn't it fabulous to be the centre of the Universe - even if it the Universe of a 3 year old.