Saturday, July 10, 2010

A big burst of Cherry Blossom

As a journal cover.

Little Boozle 2010

I'm not really a journal person but I am a person who has a more placid life with lower blood pressure if I have pen and paper on hand to jot down reminders,
shopping lists,
cute guys' phone numbers,
(just checking if you are still with me),
recipes from cafe mags (so I don't have to cough to cover up the sound of me ripping out the page
and hoping that I don't get smited),
somewhere where I can find them.

So I love having pens and note pads with me all the time.

I have wanted to make a journal cover for a while
and was torn between using some of my most beloved fabric
or doing a trial first.

I am not a patient person.
I don't tend to try out a pattern in muslin or an throw out fabric first.

Little Boozle 2010

So I compromised.
I love cherry blossom
and I chose some of my Japanese style fabrics.

In fact, to my eye,
the Smila's World ribbon probably made the whole thing a bit too busy
but I never tire of looking at it so I am happy to risk the social embarrassment of
excessive flower embellishment.

Little Boozle 2010

Little Boozle 2010

In the end,
it went rather well.
It is easy to do,
even easier if you use a tute already written up on the web.
I did some extra stitching down the inner pocket margins
and used my sewing machine rather than my overlocker so I could get a finer finish to the corners.
It is reversible but I chose the fabrics without intent to reverse the cover.

Little Boozle 2010

I would, however, suggest that you don't forget to avoid the ribbon with that hot iron.
It has what I would call the "shrinky dink effect"
and pulls in the journal cover.

But it is usable,
though not perfect,
and I am glad that I kept my bestest fabrics till next time.

2 comments:

Kate said...

It looks gorgeous. Even in the compromise fabric.
I love the idea of being a journal person but I just can't seem to get it together. Any book I carry just seems to get covered in kid scribble anyway.
I hope you are having a great weekend. X

Sally said...

Making a journal cover has been on my list of things to do for sometime now... thanks for the motivation.
I love the floral - delightful :)