Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Amy Butler Blue Sky hat

Now that is a brim!

Little Boozle 2010

I made this during my cleaning sabbatical
as a friend of mine leaves to go overseas next week and I promised her a hat that would:
1 Easily fold up to carry in her bag and
2 Actually keep the sun off her face and
3 Would be green or at least neutral.

Little Boozle 2010

I have made the Make It Perfcet Lazy Day hat a lot of times but the brim really wasn't big enough.

Well, no such problems with the Amy Butler hat.
I actually finished it,
tried it on,
thought "blimey"
then unstitched it and took a good 3-4cm off the brim width.

Little Boozle 2010

Don't get me wrong.
Some people would carry off the brim with aplomb.
It would also be a prefect gardening hat.
And it would also shade those people who are lucky enough to be anywhere near you.

But it wasn't for me and I knew my friend wouldn't like it either.

The end result is a great hat
with a very nice pattern that comes together easily.
I would have stabilised the brim by running a few lines of stitching around
but my friend was happy.

Little Boozle 2010

Just check the brim width before you commit to finishing it.

2 comments:

Stärneschyiin said...

Wow!!!!
So nice!!!!!
Great!!!!!

Hugs from Swizzerland:-)

Sally said...

Great hat (& thanks for the tip about the brim width)
Loving your fabric choices... BUT most of all I am loving your cleaning sabbaticalas!!!