Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Beige, daaah-ling. It's the new black, didn't you know?

Little Boozle 2011

As little as two years ago,
I didn't "do" natural colours.
I was a "wear black or grey as your neutral colour" girl, all the way.
Browns didn't rate a mention,
whether we were talking about wall colour, car colour, clothing colour, shoe colour or accessorising.

Little Boozle 2011

But something, slowly and insidiously, has been happening.
First we painted the walls of our new extension a beige tone.
It actually looked great
and let us use any colour scheme that we wanted in furnishings.

Little Boozle 2011

Then I bought some tortoiseshell hair clips rather than black clips.
Then some brown shoes instead of black shoes.
Then I started on clothing.
After browns, I started wearing natural blues and greens
that I have never dreamed of wearing before.

Little Boozle 2011

After more than forty years on this planet,
I find myself still evolving significantly in my tastes.

Given my penchant for all things pastel in my early teens,
this is a good thing.
The thought of swanning around in pale pink and lilac now
induces the "fight or flight response"
and I break out in a cold, cold sweat.

Little Boozle 2011

It keeps life interesting, don't you think?

Pattern: Adult ruched yoke tee- AnneLena Mattison
Yarn: Cleckheaton Country Naturals (colourway 1828)

I made this longer and slightly larger than I would for a summer tee
as I wanted a neutral (beige, come on down!), easy fitting tunic for cooler weather layering.
It has a beautiful shape.
The bodice is very loose and I would look at a snugger fit
if I were making this as a summer tee.
I changed the finish to the front opening.
I crocheted around the margins and made a loop and button closure
instead of an icord.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Ooooh Lovely I like that. So what's next? Boots ;)?

Kate said...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooooooo much!!! It looks gorgeous on you. All that stockinette stitch is making me feel a little dizzy though.That would be an entire week of knit knit knitting for me. You must be so fast.

Unknown said...

evolution is a slow process ;-)

Looks great. I am going to take your word for it in regards to the colour as it comes up as grey on my screen LOL.

Little Munchkins said...

I soooo wish I could knit! It looks amazing - I love wearing dresses like these with leggings and boots in winter.

CurlyPops said...

That's just what I needed today. It looks so toasty and warm!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

that is great! I love neutrals. I am a big fan, balck and grey and denim is basically my wardrobe. but lots of red too.

busygnomes said...

Your tunic looks fabulous! I knitted a tunic last winter, and lived it it, but I cheated and did the stocking stitch part on my knitting machine, I'm ashamed to say it took all of an hour.