Thursday, May 6, 2010

Amy Butler: The Liverpool shirt.

An exercise in patience.
(A virtue, so I have been told)

When I learnt to sew at school,
we were taught to do everything properly.
Tie off the ends- don't just backsew.
Baste in your zips, your sleeves, your everything.
Iron. Everything. Lots.
I even used a tailor's ham.
Hand up if you ever used one of those.

It has held me in good stead.
(Though I am crap at ironing as I go.
I am getting better
but it is a pain as my ironing is set up far away from my sewing space.
But I digress...)

Upon leaving school,
I rebelled and haven't made anything tailored, lined or out of crepe ever since.
(One day remind me to tell you how many times I had to redo that zip in my crepe de chine skirt!)
Collars? Too much effort. Cuffs? Pah. Multiple buttonholes? Do I have to?

But the Amy Butler Liverpool pattern caught my eye.
A lovely, shaped (and yes, collared, cuffed and with multiple buttonholes) shirt
that I really wanted to make.

Even more suprisingly I wanted to make it out of fabric that was beige (my 3rd most disliked colour)
and had some yellow in it (my 2nd most disliked colour)
(No orange though. Even I couldn't bring myself to wear that colour.)

Pattern: Amy Butler "Liverpool" shirt length version
Fabric: Heather Bailey Nicey Jane Hello Roses
Approval rating: I love it! It looks more slimming in real life
and it is really nice to make something for myself that I am really happy with.

Little Boozle 2010

Little Boozle 2010
Sweet little button loops on the cuffs.

Little Boozle 2010
Little cream vintage cabbage rose buttons to finish.

Little Boozle 2010

And, as a nod to my grade 9 sewing teacher,
the pattern asked for topstitching of the collar to attach and finish the inside seam.
But I handstitched it instead.
Just like I did learnt to do back in 1983.
Because I think it gave a better result for me.
(But I still don't baste my zips)





4 comments:

willow and moo said...

Tas, that top looks spectacular on you! I hope to see it in person in a few weeks!

And btw, I use my ham all the time and my sleeve roll. :)

Marie said...

Fabulous work, gorgeous fabric. I was picturing some type of soccer jersey with that name.

Ali said...

I love the top Tas!!!! I have that pattern but have been putting it off cause I didn't think it'd be nice on

urban vegan said...

Looks lovely and I love your choice of fabric,

I'm making the Liverpool dress now. The cuffs are driving me nuts! But then again, I'm a self-taught sewer.