Sunday, November 6, 2011

This (apathetic) week...6th November, 2011

...I have been struggling.

blog 2011

Maybe a little bit due to those post-holiday blues.
You know, those ones where you are walking along a gorgeous beach in a foreign country one day
then you are home washing the family's clothes and packing school lunches literally the next.

blog 2011

But it has been more than that.
There have been a couple of sources of anxiety,
the start of the new "to do" lists after clearing all the chores before the holiday
and generally an apathy towards everything.
Me hitting the edge of that occasional bout of depression that I run into.

blog 2011

I had a crafting spurt before going on holidays and, with that,
I seemed to lose my enthusiasm and ability to blog about anything substantial
(I know that you all hang for my insightful and witty social commentary)

blog 2011

This isn't a self-absorbed "Woe-is-me-I-went-on-a-fabulous-overseas-holiday-
but-I-actually-had-to-come-home-and-get-on-with-my-life" post.

You know me.

I was actually glad to get home,
hermit crab that I am.
I was glad to see the kidlets again.
Glad to ease back into my comfort zone.
Glad to stop living out of a suitcase.

(Truly I was glad to stop lying around drink gin,
reading, sleeping in, no responsibilities apart from chosing where to eat
and what is the best mixer to go with rum and gin...)
(Really.)
(I was.)

Suddenly Christmas decorations and horrible elevator-music-Christmas carols
are being played in the shops and there was so much more that I planned to do before 2011 ended.

Now I am adding "write letters to Santa" to my lists
and marking the local Christmas parade on the calendar.

Little Boozle 2011
(KeykaLou strap clutch)
I think that I need to do two things.

The first is to set myself more realistic goals of what I can achieve.
I need to prioritise more.

The second is to procrastinate less.

The place where those goals meet should be a more satisfying one.

I also need to just have a day here and there
when I might manage to "lose" the to do lists for a day
and know that the world will go on turning
if I just slacken off.

It is easy to feel like you are having one of those days-
yet you then realise that you have done 3 loads of washing,
cooked for the freezer,
been to the supermarket, paid some bills
and cleaned the loo.
blog 2011

Right now, the priority is to wash the 26 bickie cutters.

That is what happens when you let the kids have a free-for-all
with your biscuit cutter collection.

4 comments:

willywagtail said...

Ihate that bump you hit after a wonderful time away. It doesn't even matter how tidy you left the place or how up to date you are - you've still come home to reality and not a resort. Soak the cooky cutters, they can look after themselves. Cherrie

Vic said...

Ah Tas.

Totally cut yourself some slack; if you & I compared what we get done in a day, a week, a month, a year; I can pretty much guarantee you'd think you were superwoman but nobody remembered to tell you about it.

Sure set yourself some more realistic goals, but sometimes you can kick some without even trying.

Would you hate me if I told you I love the christmas carols everywhere in the silly season? I'm not saying I DO, just wondering what you'd say if I did.... ;)

Karen said...

instead of writing a 'to do' list - write an 'I did it' list. I find this really helps get perspective - as you said there are days you don't realise you have actually done a lot - just that it's a lot of little things - so write them all down and then at the end of the day you will know where your time went.

Unknown said...

I hope you bounce off "that wall" and not hit it so hard. I like the idea of an I Did List too.