Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Functioning as a non-practicing god-parent.

Little Boozle 2011

I try to sew something for my god-daughter's birthday each year.

Little Boozle 2011

I have 2 god-children.

Mr Boozle and I were chosen to be god-parents to one
as his parents wanted us to temper the very religious tendencies of his grandparents.

I was chosen to be another because I was a good (Catholic) friend
and a Catholic friend, no matter how lapsed, was required for the job.

I was rejected by another friend as I was not a practicing Catholic.
In that case,  the "lapsed" bit was certainly an issue.

Little Boozle 2011

My aim as a god-parent is to be approachable and open-minded
and to teach understanding, compassion, generosity of spirit and acceptance.

I don't think it matters if you attend church every week.
(Well, technically, yes, in the fine print it may matter)
But I think that it matters more that you are wanting to help
nurture these little human beings into beautiful people.

Pattern- free Flirting the Issue skirt by Anna Maria Horner
Fabric- Lincraft sale score

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Hey Tas,
I am a Godmother too. When my friend asked me, I said "Really?- couldn't you get someone more up for the task" (not those words, but that was the gist of it). She said she wanted someone who was real and honest and who her daughter could talk to when she's a teenager (oh dear!!), like you are saying- things to do with one's spirit.
I just went to Chicago to see mine. I think she'll have a lot to say when she's a teenager! I like it that you sew something for your goddaughter. that's nice, that's interested.