Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Drafting a non-nanna skirt

If at first you don't succeed, cheat a little.

For a while now, I have been wanting to draft myself a knit skirt that was flattering...well, let's say- a knit skirt that wasn't unflattering (Don't want to set my expectations too high, do I?) I have a few knits of so-so quality that I have bought off ebay for their print and have some black quality knit ready to go.

Last week I used one of the previously mentioned pretty-print-of-dubious-quality knit fabrics to sew up a self-drafted elasticised A-line skirt using Sew What skirts. Lovely little book that has not yet been given the attention that it is worthy of by yours truly.

Anyhow this ended up as a pretty little nanna skirt (sorry to all the hip nannas out there; no insult intended) I love A line skirts but I don't think that they work for me if they are gathered.
Trinny and what's her name would have a conniption if they pulled this little number out of my wardrobe. Add to that, I found a hole smack bang in the middle of one of the 2 panels. That was the proverbial nail. I think that I will put it towards the back of my cupboard and pull it out in 25 years or upcycle it to a tee for my daughter.

Little Boozle 2009

Little Boozle 2009

Deep breath. Wipe the brow. Pause and refocus. Ding, ding. Round 2. I have a favourite skirt with a yoke, gently elasticised waist and 6 panels that I love. So I pulled it out along with my ruler, pencil and paper and made myself up a pattern essentially the same. Pulled out another pretty-print-of-dubious-quality knits, cut it out, whipped it up and what an improvement. There is a gentle gathering at the waist as the elastic is inserted in the top of the yoke. I made this one with 3 panels but there are no gathers below the yoke so it gentle flares out to some fullness. The knit was a bit...plasticky but coped with a lettuce edge rolled hem. And I love the result.

Little Boozle 2009

Little Boozle 2009

Hard to see details due to the colour.

Next up I want to make black panelled skirts and experiment with knit print applique. Nothing fancy. Just to create a focus point.

Will keep you posted.



3 comments:

zofia said...

Woo hoo- Go Tas! Now you have what you like you can go to town!

Tin Can Daisy said...

I love your round 2 skirt Tas. You have inspired me to have a go at a knit skirt for me too. So thanks for that :) (By the way, my Nanna would just love that first skirt :))

Kat said...

You're so clever! I love it!